Thursday, February 23, 2012

Greekish Pizza

Every once in a while I get creative. This does not always happen on purpose! Sad, I know! After getting home late from work I needed something quick and easy for dinner. My wonderful husband laid out some ground turkey for me. I swear there are days that I would forget my head if it wasn't attached! Thankfully I have him to go behind me and keep me in one piece. But back to my creativity. I decided that I wanted something Greekish. I say Greekish because some of these ingredients are more Italian than Greek, but who is counting? This turned out really tasty! Very, very, very good! A big hit with everyone at my house. That is big. It rarely happens that everyone likes the same thing. So here is my come home from work and throw a bunch of stuff together to make a Greekish Pizza.

Homemade Greekish Pizza:

Flour Tortillas (this is one reason why I said Greekish)
4 Artichoke Hearts, chopped
2 Tablespoons Pesto
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 LB Ground Turkey
1/2 Cup Sun dried tomatoes
1/2 of a red onion, chopped
1/4 cup; 1/4 cup Feta Cheese
Parmigiano Reggiano, grated for the top
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 Tablespoons tomato sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash's Onion and Herb Seasoning
1 handful of Arugula

Add chopped onion into a pan with olive oil over medium high heat. Cook until onion is transparent. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add chopped artichoke hearts and the sun dried tomatoes. Let that warm up for about 1 minute. Add ground turkey to the pan and cook for 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Mix in oregano, Mrs. Dash's, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.
Add in the feta and arugula, recover and let simmer for 5 more minutes or until the arugula is wilted.
 While you are waiting on the arugula, get out a small pan and spray with non stick spray. Place the pan over medium heat and let it warm up. Once the pan is warm place a tortilla there and let it sit for about 2 minutes. Flip the tortilla and warm the other side. You do not want to burn the tortilla, so if 2 minutes is to long cut the time down. You want it to be bubbly and have some brown spots on it.
 When the tortilla is done on both sides, place it on a plate and cover with a paper towel. The turkey mix should be about done. Add your pesto to the mix and give it a good stir. Let the cheese melt into the mix.
Once all of your ingredients are done you get to start the fun process of building your pizza. I take the tortilla, which is nice and crispy by now, and begin my layers like this: pesto, tomato sauce, Parmigiano Reggiano, turkey mixture, feta cheese. You can keep going by adding on red onion rings and olives. I am not a fan of these ingredients, but the sky is the limit here.
These took me a total of 25 minutes to make and I ended up making about 7 of them. The little pizzas are full of flavor and fun to make!


Enjoy!
Photobucket
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment